Several legal options are available for obtaining a name change. Names may be changed by an Adoption Decree, through a name change petition filed with the Special Proceedings Division, or through an application by a widow or divorced woman for the resumption of a maiden name, name of a prior deceased husband, or name of a prior divorced husband if her children have that husband’s surname.

If the actual birth name is to be changed a state and federal criminal record check must be done which includes a trip to the sheriff’s department in the county the person lives in to be fingerprinted. The attorney then prepares the name change application which is signed by the petitioner and then submitted to the clerk of court for filing. Once approved the order of name change is submitted to the NC Department of Vital Records to be disseminated to the state where the birth occurred to change the Birth Certificate. The process can take over six months.

Landon A. Dunn, Attorney At Law can help you with name changes and provide advice in any aspect of family law. Call us or use our online contact form.