A spouse may be able to adopt your child. The natural parent must consent or have their rights terminated. The parties must have lived in the state for six months. A petition is prepared on behalf of the step-parent and filed with the court along with supporting documentation. At the end of the process the court issues a decree of adoption. A new birth certificate is created listing the new parent.

Landon A. Dunn, Attorney At Law can help you with stepparent adoption please call us or use our contact form.